Fort Firkas is by the Venetian port of Chania. Firkas (military unit) was built in 1629 and is considered a significant historic monument for Crete. In February 16th 1897, the flag of the Great Powers was raised here, pronouncing Crete’s autonomy. At the same place, 16 years later, on December 1st 1913, Eleftherios Venizelos witnessed the island’s union with the rest of Greece. Today, the fort houses the city’s Naval Museum and a small, summer theatre.